Uttar Pradesh(UP) has won the top honour at the Pradhan Mantri Awas yojana-Urban(PMAY-U) Awards 2021 under the “Best Performing State” category.
Madhya Pradesh(MP) and Tamil Nadu(TN) have won the 2nd and 3rd Prizes under the Best Performing State category respectively.
- The winners of the PMAY (U) Awards 2021 – 150 Days Challenge was felicitated by Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of Housing & Urban Affairs, during the Indian Urban Housing Conclave 2022 (IUHC 2022) organised in Shastri Maidan, Rajkot, Gujarat from 19th to 21st October 2022.
i.Madhya Pradesh (MP) has won the PMAY-U Awards 2021 under 3 special categories and Jammu and Kashmir has won the award under “Best Performing Union Territory(UT)” alongside Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
ii.Gujarat has won the 5 PMAY-U awards for performance related to Affordable Rental Housing Complexes and ‘Convergence with other Missions’.
iii.Odisha has won the PMAY-U Awards 2021 under the special category ‘Best Policy Initiatives by State’
- Sangramjit Nayak, Director of Municipal Administration & Mission Director, Jaga Mission, along with Debasish Singh Mission, Director of Odisha Urban Housing Mission-AWAAS received the award on behalf of the government of Odisha.
- The major highlights of Odisha’s initiative are the convergence of the Jaga Mission with the Odisha Urban Housing Mission (OUHM) to provide land rights and housing to beneficiaries.
About PMAY-U awards:
In 2019, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs(MoHUA) established the PMAY-U Awards for Implementation and innovation under the Pradhan Mantri Awas yojana-Urban(PMAY-U).
The awards have broadly been classied into 3 major levels:
- State Awards, Municipal Corporations, Municipal Councils and Nagar Panchayats Awards
- Special Category Awards
- Beneciary Awards
Awards are proposed to be evaluated on the basis of 4 broad parameters with corresponding weightage as given below:
Parameter A – 100 Days Challenge
Parameter B – Implementation of Scheme
Parameter C – Outreach & Transparency
Parameter D – Institutional Architecture of the Scheme
- To recognize the achievements by States/UTs in the Mission.
- To encourage healthy competition among States/UTs/ULBs for achieving the goal of ‘Housing for All’ within the stipulated time.
- To disseminate knowledge on effective methods of design and implementation
- To encourage innovations in the successful implementation of projects.
- To promote cross-learning in resolving problems, mitigating risks and planning for successful implementation of the Mission.
About Pradhan Mantri Awas yojana-Urban(PMAY-U):
i.The MoHUA has been implementing the Pradhan Mantri Awas yojana-Urban(PMAY-U) since June 2015.
ii.The beneficiaries of the scheme include the Economically weaker section (EWS), low-income groups (LIGs) and Middle Income Groups (MIGs).
iii.The MoHUA has sanctioned around 1.23 crore houses under the scheme and so far more than 1.04 lakh houses have been grounded and about 64 lakh are completed and delivered.
- PMAY-U is one of the largest housing schemes in the world.
About IUHC 2022:
i.The 3-day event was organised in both physical and virtual modes with webcasting and live streaming.
ii.The events consist of
- Inauguration of Light House Project (LHP)
- National Exhibition on Innovative Construction Practices
- Exhibition on transformative Urban Missions of MoHUA
- Exhibition on best practices by States/UTs under PMAY-U
- Three days deliberations on Affordable Housing Discourses
- Felicitation of PMAY-U AWARDS 2021Winners
Recent Related News:
On September 1, 2022, Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) presented Smart Solutions Challenge & Inclusive Cities Awards 2022 which are an initiative of the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) and the United Nations (UN) in India to address city-level accessibility and inclusion challenges faced by persons with disabilities (PwD), women and girls, and the elderly.
About the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs(MoHUA):
Union Minister– Hardeep Singh Puri(Rajya Sabha- Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State– Kaushal Kishore(Constituency- Mohanlalganj, Uttar Pradesh)