The 2016 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts. It was the 136th edition of the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the year. It took place at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
About US open :
Stan Wawrinka won the men’s singles event. Angelique Kerber won the women’s singles event and became the first German player to win the tournament since Steffi Graf in 1996.
- The 2016 US Open was the 136th edition of the tournament and it was held at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park of Queens in New York City, New York, United States.
- The tournament was an event run by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and was part of the 2016 ATP World Tour and the 2016 WTA Tour calendars under the Grand Slam category.
- The tournament consists of both men’s and women’s singles and doubles draws as well as a mixed doubles event. There are also singles and doubles events for both boys and girls (players under 18), which is part of the Grade A category of tournaments.
- In addition, the annual men’s and women’s Champions Invitational doubles events were held, with eight male and eight female former Grand Slam champions taking part.
- For the third year running, the American Collegiate Invitational competitions were organized, where top sixteen American collegiate players compete in men’s and women’s singles events. Exhibition matches also took place.
- Due to the2016 Summer Paralympics, no usual singles, doubles and quad events for men’s and women’s wheelchair tennis players as part of the UNIQLO tour under the Grand Slam category will be played.
- The tournament was played on hard courts and takes place over a series of 16 courts withDecoTurf surface, including the three main show courts – Arthur Ashe Stadium, Louis Armstrong Stadium and Grandstand.
- It was the first US Open played on courts with operational roofs, on centre court and on the newly built Grandstand stadium. The Ashe roof was expected to be used only for rain, unlike the Australian Open, which also closes its roof in cases of extreme heat.It was also be the last tournament before the demolition of the Louis Armstrong Stadium and old Grandstand.
- For the second year running, the US Open is scheduled across 14 days, rather than the 15-day schedule of 2013 and 2014, which has impact on all senior events. Women’s singles semifinals have been scheduled for September 8 evening session, while men’s singles semifinal matches was played on Friday September 9.
- The men’s doubles final was played before the women’s singles final on Saturday September 10, and the men’s singles final followed the women’s doubles final on Sunday September 11.
The winners and runners in the various schedules are as follows,
|Winner – Stan Wawrinka,||Runner – Novak Djokovic|
|Winner – Angelique Kerber||Runner – Karolina Pliskova|
|Winner – Jamie Murray, Bruno Soares||Runner – Garreno busta, Garcia-lopez|
|Winner – Mattek-sands, Lucia Safarova||Runner – Caroline Garcia, Kristina Madenovic|
|Winner – Laura Siegemund Croatia Mate Pavić||Runner – Coco Vandewedhe, Rajeev ram|