On March 21, 2021, Uttar Pradesh (UP) Chief Minister (CM) Yogi Adityanath launched UPFPO (Uttar Pradesh Farmer Producer Organization) Shakti Portal as part of the Kisan Kalyan Mission in Gorakhpur, UP. It is the 1st of its kind in India.
- Developers – Department of Agriculture, UP with technical support & Funding Support from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
- At present, UP has 576 FPOs comprising around 2.15 Lakh Farmers. Out of which, 471 FPOs have registered themselves on the portal.
- The initiative is aligned with Prime Minister’s vision of doubling farmers’ income by 2022 & making India a USD 5 Trillion economy by 2024.
- To benefit the farmers at the grassroots level.
- To bring farmers, producer groups, traders and the department of agriculture & other departments of the State government on one platform.
i.The portal will help farmers to
- Expand their market base
- Reduce dependency on mandis
- Facilitate national and trans-boundary trade
ii.Using the portal farmers can download documents required to form the organizations directly from the portal.
iii.The portal will contain all information related to FPOs, key activities, organization structure & produces.
iv.Through the portal relevant information on specific subjects will be delivered to the farmers through Texts, emails or audio/video.
v.The initiative will play a significant role in meeting national objectives, generating employment, reducing malnutrition & empowering women.
- Better marketing for Farm produces
- Providing Financial Linkages
- Focused Scheme support
Recent Related News:
i.On November 9, 2020, PM Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated & Laid the Foundation Stone of Multiple development projects for Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh related to Agriculture, Tourism and Infrastructure.
About Uttar Pradesh
Chief Minister – Yogi Adityanath
Capital – Lucknow