United Nations(UN)’s United Nations Public Service Day is annually observed across the globe on 23rd June to recognise the value and virtue of the public service to the community. The day also highlights the contribution of public service toward development processes.
- The day also recognizes the work of public servants and encourages young people to pursue careers in the public sector.
United Nations Public Service Day 2022 is led by the 2022 theme of the UN high-level political forum (HLPF) “Building back better from COVID-19 – Enhancing innovative partnerships to meet the Sustainable Development Goal”.
The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/57/277 in December 2002 and proclaimed the 23rd June of every year as the United Nations Public Service Day.
UN High-Level Political Forum:
The UN High-Level Political Forum (HLPF), the main body for reviewing the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda celebrated the UN Public Service Day 2022 on 22nd June 2022 with a focus on the role of public institutions and public servants in building back better from COVID-19.
- 2022 theme of UN HLPR – “Building back better from COVID-19 – Enhancing innovative partnerships to meet the Sustainable Development Goal”.
2022 United Nations Public Service Award announced:
As a part of the observance of the United Nations Public Service Day 2022, a virtual celebration under the theme of “Building back better from COVID-19: Enhancing innovative partnerships to meet the Sustainable Development Goals” was organised.
- Liu Zhenmin, Under-Secretary-General, UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) announced the winners of the 2022 United Nations Public Service Award (2022 UNPSA) during the online event.
Odisha’s Mo Bus won the UNPSA 2022:
Mo Bus, a public transport bus service run in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, operated by Capital Region Urban Transport(CRUT), a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV), formed under the Housing and Urban Development Department of the Government of Odisha has won the 2022 UNPSA.
- In 2018, The government of Odisha reorganised the public transit services in Bhubaneswar to provide an integrated, reliable and inclusive public bus service system
- Mo Bus has incorporated real-time technologies like live tracking, travel planner and e-ticketing.
Winners of UNPSA 2022:
i.This is one of the 10 global initiatives (Brazil, Canada, India, Ireland, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, and Ukraine) that have been recognised for their innovative public service delivery.
ii.The 10 global initiatives were honoured with the 2022 UNSPA for their role and efforts in assisting in building back better from COVID-19.
Click here for the details of the 2022 UNPSA Winners
i.UNPSA, the prestigious international recognition of excellence in public service, recognises the creative achievements and contributions of public service institutions that lead to a more effective and responsive public administration in countries across the globe.
ii.The inaugural awards ceremony was held in 2013.