Raj Kumar Singh (R K Singh), Union Minister of Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the Voluntary Star Labelling Programme for multi-door refrigerators, table and wall-mounted fans, pedestal fans, and induction hobs during the event organised on the occasion of the 21st Foundation day of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) (1st March 2023) in New Delhi, Delhi.
- He also launched the iDEEKSHA(Industrial Decarbonization and EE Knowledge-Sharing) Portal, iDEEKSHA Newsletter and a flyer during the event.
- He also hailed BEE’s completion of a decade of the Perform, Achieve and Trade (PAT) scheme, a flagship programme under the mission implemented by BEE under the aegis of Ministry of Power.
About Voluntary Star Labelling Programme:
i.The Voluntary Star Labelling Programme is expected to save approximately 11.2 billion units of electricity by 2030 and will enable the reduction of CO2 emissions of close to 9 million tonne by 2030.
ii.This programme will support India to transition towards low carbon sustainable growth and achieve its ambition of net zero by 2070.
- Including the 4 newly added energy-efficient appliances, Star-labelling program formulated by the BEE under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001, covers a total of 34 appliances.
- The voluntary program of the newly added appliances was effective from 1st March 2023.
iDEEKSHA is a platform developed under the Accelerating Smart Power and Renewable Energy (ASPIRE) Technical 1 Assistance Programme.
- ASPIRE is a bilateral program implemented by the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, Government of the UK in association with the Ministry of Power and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
i.iDEEKSHA portal will serve as one-stop shop for all energy efficiency and decarbonisation needs of Indian energy-intensive industries.
ii.This portal aims to enable the exchange of information, knowledge and experience and best practices related to a wide range of stakeholders like industries, industrial associations, technology and service providers, and research institutions etc.
i.BEE is implementing a program named “DEEP (Demonstration of Energy Efficient Project)” to enhance the impacts Perform, Achieve, Trade (PAT) Scheme.
ii.the Designated Consumers (DCs) signed MoUs while celebrating the decade of PAT scheme.
Foundation Day of BEE:
i.Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) is a statutory body under the Ministry of Power which came into force on March 1st, 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
ii.BEE assists in developing policies and strategies with the primary objective of reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
iii.It works with the designated consumers, agencies, and other organizations to identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing the functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act.
Energy schemes implemented by BEE:
The various innovative energy efficiency schemes and national programs that have been successfully designed and implemented by BEE includes PAT Scheme, Standards and Labelling for Energy Efficient Appliances, Energy Conservation Building Codes (ECBC), Demand Side Management etc.
Recent Related News:
On 11th November 2022, Union Minister of Power and New and Renewable Energy, R K Singh launched the Green Energy Open Access Portal to promote clean and green energy initiated by the Government of India (GoI). The web portal was designed and developed by Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO), the central nodal agency for the implementation and operation of the portal.
About Ministry of Power:
Union Minister– Raj Kumar Singh (Constituency- Arrah, Bihar)
Minister of State– Krishan Pal(Constituency- Faridabad, Haryana)