Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment (MSJE) and Chairman of Dr.Ambedkar Foundation, Virendra Kumar launched Dr. Ambedkar Centres of Excellence (DACE) Scheme from Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh (UP). Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Anandiben Patel was the chief guest of the event.
- Dr Ambedkar Foundation, an autonomous body under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment(MSJE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with selected 31 Universities.
About Dr.Ambedkar Centres of Excellence (DACE) Scheme:
i.In the MoU the DAF planned to start DACE in 31 Central Universities.
- The DACEs are being set up to provide high quality free coaching facilities to the Scheduled Caste (SC) students for the Civil Services examinations, conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
ii.Under DACE, a total of 100 seats will be sanctioned for coaching per centre.
- Of which 33% of seats will preferably be given to the eligible female candidates of SCs.
- If eligible female candidates are not available in sufficient numbers for the coaching, the concerned University will allocate the vacant seats to the male/transgender candidates (SC Candidates only).
iii.The coaching benefits will only be utilised by a student ‘once’ regardless of the number of chances he/she is entitled for a particular competitive examination.
- It will be mandatory for a student to submit an affidavit to the University stating that he/she has not received any monetary benefit from any of the other schemes of Government of India (GoI), State/ Union Territories (UTs) or any funding agency.
iv.The selection of the students is made through Common Entrance Test by the University as per merit.
- DAF will fund the entire expenditure incurred on the establishment of DACE.
- Rs. 75,000/- per annum / per student will be provided to the University for 100 students.
- The total amount of Rs 75 lakh per year will be provided to the University for running the Scheme.
Dr. Ambedkar Chairs Scheme:
i.DAF runs another Scheme called “Dr. Ambedkar Chairs” in Universities/Institutions all over India.It was started in 1993.
- Currently there are 24 Dr. Ambedkar Chairs across the country.
- A MoU was also signed with regard to improve Dr. Ambedkar Chairs Scheme between 24 Universities/Institutions and DAF, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, GoI.
ii.The scheme aims to provide advanced Centres of learning in the premier universities and educational institutes to understand, assess, disseminate and implement the ideas and thoughts of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar.
iii.The DAF has revised the amount of grant-in-aid to Dr. Ambedkar Chairs from the present Rs 35 Lakh to Rs 75 Lakh.
Recently Related News:
i.Vinai Kumar Saxena, Chairman of Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), has launched India’s first Mobile Honey Processing Van at Sirora village in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. This mobile honey processing unit can process up to 300 KG of honey in 8 hours.
The mobile van is designed by KVIC at its Multi-Disciplinary Training Centre, Panjokehra, at a cost of Rs 15 lakh.
About Uttar Pradesh:
Wildlife sanctuaries – Katarniya Ghat Wildlife Sanctuary, Hastinapur Wildlife Sanctuary, National Chambal Sanctuary
Tiger Reserve – Pilibhit Tiger Reserve, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, Amangarh (buffer of Corbett TR)