On 23 July, The Union Home Minister, Amit Shah launched ‘Vriksharopan Abhiyan’ the tree plantation campaign of the Coal Ministry in the presence of Shri Pralhad Joshi, Union Minister of Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs.
- Secretary, Shri Anil Kumar Jain and Joint Secretary, Shri B P Pati of Ministry of Coal along with other senior officials were also present.
- More than 300 dignitaries from states including MPs, MLAs and State Government officials joined the event virtually.
‘Tree Plantation Campaign’:
- The campaign was conducted virtually at more than 130 locations in around 38 districts of 10 coal/lignite bearing States.
- 6 lakh seedlings have been planted across 600 acres.Around 32000 people were connected in the virtual event from 160 locations.
- The Plantation campaign coincides with the anniversaries of Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak and Chandrashekhar Azad, who devoted their life for service of the nation.
Launch of Eco Parks & Tourism Sites:
i.Amit Shah laid the foundation stones of six eco parks and tourism sites during the ‘Tree Plantation Campaign’ through video-conferencing.
ii.The total cost involved in 5 Eco parks and 1 Sal Plantation project is Rs. 27.60 crores.
iii.The coal and lignite PSUs have planned to spend Rs. 50 crores on creation of new Eco-Parks, expansion of existing eco-parks and other tourism sites at 15 locations across the country by financial year 2023-24.
”Going Green” initiative:
i.”Going Green” is the key thrust area of coal sector involving maximisation of green cover through ecological reclamation of mined out areas and overburden dumps, plantation in and around mines and avenue plantation at suitable places.
ii.The initiative will kick start through active participation of coal and lignite PSUs as well as private miners.
iii.The coal and lignite PSUs have planted around 157 Million plants restoring total area of about 25000 Hectares till FY20-21.
iv.Three coal and lignite PSUs Coal India Limited(CIL), NLC India Limited (NLCIL) and Singareni Collieries Company Ltd (SCCL) have set a target to cover 1,789 hectare of area in and around the coalfields.
v.Bio-reclamation and plantation 1626 hectare, Creation of grassland 70 hectare, hi-tech cultivation 90 hectare and bamboo plantation 3 hectare.
Other Statements during Launch:
- The Ministry of Coal has undertaken initiatives towards ‘Ease of doing Business’ and Aatma Nirbhar Bharat led by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The Government has set a target of one billion tonnes production of coal by 2023-24.
Recent Related News:
i.Kisan Credit Cards (KCC) campaign launched for 1.5 crore dairy farmers.
ii.Plantation drive named “Thank Mom” started in Madhya Pradesh.