On April 20, 2017, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the two-day 11th Civil Services Day function in New Delhi. This function was organised by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) under Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- The function was presided over by Dr. Jitendra Singh – Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space.
- Civil Services Day function is being celebrated since the year 2006. “Making New India” was the theme for Civil Services Day, 2017.
PM Modi presents awards to civil servants for commendable work
On April 21, 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented awards for Excellence in Public Administration under following two areas:
|Cashless Village Palnar||Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh|
|Solar Urja Lamps Project||Dungarpur district of Rajasthan|
Area: Implementation of Priority Programmes
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
|Siaha district of Mizoram was awarded in North East and Hill states category|
|Banaskantha district of Gujarat was awarded under the category of other states|
|Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana||Gomati district of Tripura in North East and Hill states category|
|Jalna district of Maharashtra under the category of other states|
|e-National Agriculture Market (e-NAM)||Solan district of Himachal Pradesh was awarded in North East and Hill states category|
|Nizamabad district of Telangana was awarded under the category of other states|
|Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana||Sivasagar district of Assam in North East and Hill states category|
|Nalanda district of Bihar under the category of other states|
|Start-Up India||Gujarat state under other states category|
|Stand-Up India||North and Middle Andaman of Andaman & Nicobar islands under Union Territories category.|
PM Modi also released two books at the function:
- “New Beginning” on Innovations
- “Fostering Excellence” for initiatives under identified Priority Programmes.
During the function, a film titled “Making New India – 2017”, by DARPG was also screened.
About Civil Services Day:
- Civil Services Day is organised in India on 21st April every year
- On this day, Civil Servants re-dedicate themselves to public service and betterment of society at large.
- On this date in 1947, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel addressed the first batch of probationers at the All India Administrative Service Training School at Metcalfe House in New Delhi.