Marking the occasion as a Golden Day in the history of Northeast, Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on 10 August 2015 launched new train services in the Northeast after the completion of Balipara-Bhalukpong (Arunachal Pradesh) and North Lakhimpur-Murkongselek (Assam) sections into broad-gauge. The train services were launched by the Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu through video-conferencing from New Delhi.
- This is the second Broad Gauge connectivity for Arunachal Pradesh after the launch of a train service between Arunachal Pradesh’s capital Itanagar and Delhi earlier in 2015.
- This new (510 km) gauge conversion project was sanctioned in 2002-03 with the budgetary outlay of 3600 crore rupees but was delayed due to fund constraints in the past. But with a budgetary outlay of 713 crore rupees in 2014-15, and an additional balance of 300 crore rupees it got a new booming start.
- At present, the Union Government in Northeast India has undertaken 13 new lines, 3 gauge conversion and 4 doubling projects, which on completion will augment a railway network by 1915 km.
Trains flagged off on this occasion:
- Guwahati-Murkongselek Intercity Express (Daily).
- Dekargaon-Bhalukpong Passenger (on newly gauge-converted Ballipara-Bhalukpong section).
- Extension of Rangiya-Rangapara North Passenger upto Dekargaon.
- Extension of Dekargaon-Harmuti Passenger upto Murkongselek.
- Increase in frequency of Dibrugarh-Chandigarh Express from Weekly to Bi-weekly.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification