Union Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi, has inaugurated the first modernised Anganwadi Centre in Hasanpur village, Sonepat, Haryana. Government plans to build 4000 such modern centres in coming years, which may change the fate of Anganwadi scheme.
This centre has been built in partnership with private mining firm Vedanta at a cost of 12 lakh rupees, while the land was provided by the Gram Panchayat.
- The modern centers which are being built under the name of Nand-Ghar Scheme are called Nand-Ghar Centers.
- The centers involve an area of 780 square feet, will be constructed by state-run National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited, as per the guidance of the WCD Ministry.
- The cost of construction will be shared by the Ministry and Vedanta, while the land will be provided by the Gram Panchayat. The building will have a singular design.
- They will be equipped with the latest facilities: solar-power systems to make them stand-alone, and televisions for teaching purpose
- A separate sitting room for children/women, separate kitchen, store for food items and dedicated space for children to play.
- Their aesthetics will also be made ‘pretty’ so that people feel like coming there
- The building’s design is based on the concept of ‘Building as a Learning Aid’ piloted by UNICEF, the centers would attempt to increase attendance of children.
- Anganwadi centers are the focal points for implementing Integrated Child Development Scheme
- The centers accommodate around 50 children in daytime every day
- Under the scheme, supplementary nutrition is provided to children in the age group of 0-6 years and to pregnant/lactating mothers with main objective to fight the problem of malnutrition.
- A network of 13.4 lakh anganwadis have been established in every village, town, city and other habitations.
- However, an audit has shown that most of the centres lacked essential infrastructure for maintenance of hygiene and sanitation. Many of them were also found working under trees, in open spaces, dilapidated buildings and temporary structures.