On February 26, 2020 Union Food Processing Industries(FPI) Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal Launched Market Intelligence & Early Warning (MIEWS) at Delhi. MIEWS portal is a ‘First-of -its-kind’ platform that monitors the prices of TOP Crops (Tomato,Onion & Potato) & generates alert for timely market intervention under the terms of Operation Greens(OG) scheme for price stabilization during glut situations.Characteristics of MIEWS portal
i.For 3 months forward a dashboard will indicate price alerts (high&low)& forecasts.
ii.TOP Crops’s prices and arrivals with comparison of previous seasons.
iii.Area, Yield Production,Crop Agronomy & Trade Profile of TOP Crops.
iv.The portal will have a public section which includes Prices and arrivals, Area, yield and production, Crop Agronomy & Trade Profile, & private section which comprise of regular & special market intelligence reports with price forecasts.
Purpose of MIEWS
i.To Farmers-Provide advisories to avoid cyclical production & early warning in glut situations.
ii.To Decision Makers-To monitor the supply situation for timely market intervention,to move the produce from surplus regions to deficit regions as per the OG scheme during glut sitatiom & to provide inputs for export/import Decision making.
The alerts are generated for timely market intervention as per OG scheme
- when the prices of TOP Crops fall to a 3 year low at the time of harvest.
- When compared to the previous period the price fall is more than 50%.
- When prices fell lesser than the benchmark fixed by the State/ Central government for a specified period.
- MIEWS is an initiative by the Ministry of FPI to leverage IT tools & to facilitate Digital India’s goals.
- If MIEWS becomes successful it will be implemented in other departments/Ministries of India.
Gist about OG Scheme
OG scheme was announced in the budget speech of Union Budget 2018-19 on the line of “Operation Flood” with a budget of Rs 500 crore to enhance TOP Crops value chain & promote Farmer Producers Organizations (FPOs), agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management.
About Ministry of FP Industries:
Union Minister– Harismrat Kaur Badal
State Minister– Rameshwar Teli
Headquarter– New Delhi