Union Cabinet on 20th March 2015 clears 33% quota for women in Delhi and other six Union Territories. The move aims at increasing representation of women in police and to make the force gender sensitive.
“The reservation will be available to women against all such vacancies existing on the date of issue of order and vacancies arising thereafter,” the order said.
Points to Remember:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Narendra Modi on Friday gave its nod to the proposal for women’s quota in direct recruitment at the non-gazetted level in these forces and also approved “suitable enabling provisions in the recruitment rules” relating to all Union territories.
- This reservation for women will be applicable “horizontally and in each category (SC/ST/OBC and others) through direct recruitment in non-gazetted posts from constables to sub-inspectors.”
- The Cabinet also approved that suitable enabling provisions should be made in the Recruitment Rules by police forces of all UTs.
- The decision is essentially aimed at instilling confidence among women to enable them to approach police without hesitation as and when required.
- The move immediately opens up avenues for recruitment of nearly 8,000-9,000 women