The Union Cabinet of India gave its approval to the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY), which will be implemented by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship through the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). The total fund allocated for PMKVY is Rs. 1500 Crores.
Points to Remember
- The main objective of the scheme is to provide skills training to youth (24 Lakh people), including drop-outs of Schools (class X and XII).
- A monetary reward of Rs.8000 will be given to a trainee based on his/her performance, which will be assessed and certified by third party assessment bodies.
- Funds has been allocated for awareness building and mobilization.
- A sum of 150 crore rupees has been allocated for training of youth from the North-East India.
- The target for skills training would be associated with Make in India, Digital India, National Solar Mission, and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- The training will involve soft skills, development of interpersonal skills, behavioral change for cleanliness, good work ethics etc.
- The scheme would be implemented through NSDC training partners. As of now NSDC has around 187 training partners that have over 2300 centres.
- Sector Skill Councils and the State Governments would closely observe skill training that will happen under PMKVY.
- A strong grievance redressal system would be implemented to address the grievances relating to execution of the scheme.
- An online portal would be launched to disseminate information about the scheme.