United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) has selected Human Resource and Development Ministry’s Jan Sikshan Sansthan (JSS) project implemented in Malappuram for the international UNESCO Confucius Prize for literacy 2016.
UNESCO Confucius Prize :
The UNESCO Confucius Prize for Literacy recognizes the activities of outstanding individuals, governments or governmental agencies and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) working in literacy serving rural adults and out-of-school youth, particularly women and girls.
- The Prize was established in 2005 through the support of the Government of thePeople’s Republic of China in honour of the great Chinese scholar Confucius.
- It is part of the International Literacy Prizes, which UNESCO awards every year in recognition of excellence and inspiring experiences in the field of literacy throughout the world.
- The Confucius Prize offers two awards of US$20,000 each, a medal and a diploma, as well as a study visit to literacy project sites in China.
- The Prize is open to institutions, organizations or individuals displaying outstanding merit in literacy, achieving particularly effective results and promoting innovative approaches.
- The selection of prizewinners is made by an International Jury appointed by UNESCO’s Director-General, which meets in Paris once a year.
- The Prize is awarded at an official ceremony held for that purpose at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris on the occasion of International Literacy Day – 8 September.
About JSS Malapuram :
The district of Malappuram is bordered by the Nilgiris in the East, Arabian Sea in the West and other Kerala district of Kozhikkode in the North and Palakkad and Trissur in the South. The district was formed in the year 1969.
- This land in slightly elevated and has 23.5 percentage of forest area.
- Jan Shikshan Sansthan-Malappuram started functioning from 01-04-2006 onwards. The Sansthan comes under the aegis of Nilambur Muslim Orphanage Committee which is registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860 in the year 1970 and has its Head quarters at Myladi.
- JSS-Malappuram has come out with a series of Vocational Trainings, awareness classes and other activities during its 6 years of working.
- SS had also won the Sakshar Bharat Award instituted by MHRD in 2014, for its involvement in continuous education programmes.
- The literacy award distribution ceremony would be held at UNESCO’s headquarters in Paris, in conjunction with a global education meeting on ‘Reading the Past, Writing the Future’, on September 8 and 9.
- A team of the project will also conduct an academic visit in China in last week of September.