President of United Natios General Assembly,SAM KUTESA announced Dr. Helena Ndume of Namibia and Jorge Fernando Branco Sampaio as the winners of first NELSON MANDELA prize on JUNE 22,2015.
- Sampaio,at the age of 75 was cited for his efforts as a consistent supporter of Portuguese democracy when he was a student activist in the 1970’s during Carnation Revolution.
- He served as 18th president from 1996-2006.
- Ndume,head of Ophthalmology at Windhoek Central Hospital won recognition for her work for providing no cost eye surgery to Namibians suffering from blindness.
- The award ceremony takes place at UN Headquarters in New York.
ABOUT United Nations Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize
- The United Nations Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize is an honorary award presented once every five years as a tribute to the outstanding achievements and contributions of two individuals (one female and one male).
- The Prize shall be awarded in recognition of their dedicated service to humanity, in the promotion of reconciliation and social cohesion, and in community development, guided by the purposes and principles of the United Nations.
- Nominations shall reach the secretariat not later than 31 December of the year prior to the year for which the nominations are to be considered.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification