As per World Elite UCI (International Cycling Union) ranking released by UCI, the 20 year old Deborah Herold, from Andaman and Nicobar moved up to 4th spot in the world rankings from earlier 10th rank.
- Her brilliant performance in Track Asia Cup & Taiwan Cup Track International Classic event also led the Indian team to improve its world ranking to 13th.
- India is the highest ranking Asian country in 500m time trial as China is on 15th spot.
About Deborah Herold
Her story is one of inspiration, when devastating 2004 tsunami hit Port Blair; 9 years old Deborah had to spend over a week stuck in a tree until help arrived.
- In Track Asia Cup which was held in New Delhi, Deborah had won 1 gold by defeating South Korea’s Cho Sun Young and 2 silver medal in that event which helped her improve rankings.
- During Taiwan Cup Track International Classic event, she became the first ever Indian cyclist to achieve top honors in women elite section by bagging gold, 3 silver medals and bronze.
Training in Switzerland
After looking at the recent outstanding performance of Indian Cyclists, World Cycling Centre in Switzerland has announced 75% concession to Indian Cyclist to train in Switzerland.
- Federation has decided to send Kejia Vargheese and Deborah Herold alongwith their Coach R.K. Sharma for training in Switzerland till the Asian Track Cycling Championship in January 2016 in Japan.