TRIFED (Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India ), the commercial wing of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs has signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with The Link Fund, an Philanthropic operational foundation for empowerment of tribals.
- The MoU was signed by Pravir Krishna, Managing Director of TRIFED & Tony Kalm, CEO & Co-founder of The LINK Fund.
- The agreement has been signed for a project titled ‘Sustainable Livelihoods for Tribal Households in India’.
i.It aims to empower tribals by providing support to them for increasing value addition in their produce and products.
- Providing sustainable livelihoods and value addition for increase in income and employment generation through technological intervention.
- The intervention will help in achieving efficiency in value addition for Minor Forest Produces (MFP), produce and crafts diversification, skill training and enhancement of value additions in MFPs.
ii.They will also work to create women-centered infrastructure and innovation and entrepreneurship.
iii.The LINK Fund will assist TRIFED to draw Project Implementation Plan, Estimate budgetary estimates and mobilize funds.
iv.An Important aspect of the partnership will be the development of markets for NTFP (Non-Timber Forest Products).
TRIFED has initiated several schemes for empowerment of tribals, they are
- Van-Dhan Startups for generating employment opportunities among tribal artisans and forest gatherers.
- ‘Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP’ scheme injected more than INR 3000 crore into tribal economy since April 2020.
- In May 2020, Central Government the prices of MFPs were increased by 90% and 23 new items were included in the MFP list. It draws strength from The Forest Rights Act of 2005.
Recent Related News:
i.On December 31, 2020, TRIFED signed an MoU with Deen Dayal Antyodaya-National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM) for undertaking economic support programmes to boost the livelihoods of Tribal populations of the country & Women Self Help Groups (SHGs).
About Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
It comes under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs
Managing Director – Pravir Krishna
Head Office – New Delhi
About The LINK Fund
CEO & Co-Founder – Tony Kalm
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland