29-member Indian team participated in the third edition of Track Asia Cup 2016 from September 14 to 16 at the Indoor Cycling Velodrome at IG Sports Complex
About Track Asia Cycling Cup,
The Asian Cycling Championships (ACC) is an annual continental cycling championships for road bicycle racing and track cycling since 1963, exclusively for Asian cyclists selected by the national governing body (member nations of the Asian Cycling Confederation).
- The Cycling Federation of India hosted third edition of Track Asia Cup 2016 from 14-16 September 2016 at the Indoor Cycling Velodrome at IG Sports Complex in New Delhi.
- The second edition of this event hosted in India in 2015 saw the participation of 11 countries while this time, 12 countries will participate including Pakistan.
- The event participation consists of thirteen teams from 12 countries namely Pakistan, Iran, UAE, Kazakhstan, Hong Kong, Uzbekistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Macau China, Malaysia and India. More than 150 cyclists from different countries will compete in this event for the top honors.
This championship is also very important for Indian cyclists as India and Bahrain will co-host Asian Track Cycling Championship in February 2017 where 31 countries will take part. It is the time when Athletes can judge themselves for a bigger show.
Medal Tally :
India ended their campaign in the Track Asia Cup at second position
|Hong Kong (18)||11 Gold 4 Silver and 3 bronze.|
|India 16 medals)||5 gold 4 Silver and 7 bronze|
- Deborah Herold did not disappoint her team and took home two gold medals on day one.
- In the women elite, 500m Deborah won the gold, clocking 35.964.
- Mohd. Adnan Farina Shawati of Malaysia and Yin Yin from Hong Kong bagged the silver and bronze medal, respectively.
- In women’s Team Sprint Elite event, the Indian team comprising Deborah Herold and Kezia Vargheese beat the team from Kazakhstan to bag the gold medal with a timing of 35.962.
- A bronze medal was awarded to Rajkumari Devi, due to walkover at the women elite pursuit 3kms event.
- In men’s elite team sprint event, the team from Iran bagged the gold medal with a time of 46.330 followed by team Malaysia and team Kazakhstan bagging the silver and bronze medal respectively with timing of 47.999 and 47.641. The Indian team finished fourth in the event.
- The Junior team lived up to the expectation of their coach R.K. Sharma, who had claimed a day before the event that the junior team is expected to add on medals to the Indian Tally.
- The men’s junior in the Team Sprint event bagged a silver medal beating the team from Kazakhstan with a time of 49.299.
- Another star from India that rose to fame was, Alena Reji, who was taking part in her first international event with the Track Asia Cup 2016, won silver, beating Jantuganova Olga from Uzbekistan.
- It is noted that Anis Amira from Malaysia won the gold medal in this event with a timing of 38.443.
- At the end of the first day of the Track Asia Cup 2016, India and Malaysia share the first spot at the medal tally with three golds, two silvers and one bronze each.
- Indian cyclists continued their fine performance on the day two of the Track Asia Cup 2016. Sanuraj P won the bronze in the 1km Time Trial Men Junior,the gold medal was won by TSZ ChunLaw of Hong Kong and silver was claimed by Muhammad Danieal Haikkal of Malaysia
- Team Pursuit from India won the bronze in the 4km Race, Kazakhstan won the first place and the second place was taken by UAE.