The selection committee headed by former Indian hockey captain Zafar Iqbal recommended the names of TPP Nair, SP Misra and Romeo James for 2015 Dhyan Chand award by shortlisting these three players out of 60 applicants in total.
About the Recipients:
- TPP Nair, the former captain of the Indian volleyball team, led the Indian team which bagged a bronze medal in the 1958 Tokyo Asian Games and a silver medal in the 1962 Jakarta Asian Games.
- SP Misra is the former captain of Davis Cup and at present is the chairman of the All India Tennis Association Selection Committee (AITASC).
- Romeo James, the former goalkeeper of the Indian hockey team, represented the country in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics where India finished fifth.
However controversies are there, as some strong contenders, namely multiple decathlon National champion-cum-coach and prominent sports administrator M.C. Muthiah and Commonwealth Games medalist and 1984 Olympian wrestler Jai Prakash Kangar missed out on the award although they were shortlisted on the list.
About the Dhyan Chand award:
- Dhyan Chand Award is India’s highest award for lifetime achievement in sports and games.
- The award is named after the legendary Indian hockey player Dhyan Chand.
- The award is given annually by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India.
- The award was initiated in 2002.
- The award carries a cash prize of INR 500,000, a plaque and a scroll of honour.