According to the Performance Grading Index (PGI) 2019-20 for States & UTs released by Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSEL), Ministry of Education, the states of Punjab, Chandigarh, Tamil Nadu, Andaman & Nicobar Islands (A&N Islands) and Kerala occupied the highest grade (Grade I ++) for 2019-20 (i.e Scores are between 901-950).
i.Performance Grading Index measures the progress made by States/UTs with regard to school education such as learning outcomes, access and equity, infrastructure and facilities, and governance and management processes. For this, it uses around 70 Indicators.
- The PGI 2019-20 is the 3rd edition of the report, the 1st report was published in 2019 with reference year 2017-18.
- DoSEL has designed the PGI, the main objective of PGI is to speeding up transformational change in the field of school education.
Top 5 Ranking States & Scores
|Punjab||929||Grade I ++|
|Chandigarh||912||Grade I ++|
|Tamil Nadu||906||Grade I ++|
|Kerala||901||Grade I ++|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||901||Grade I ++|
i.Most states/UTs have improved their grade in PGI 2019-20 compared to previous reports.
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Puducherry, Punjab and Tamil Nadu have improved their overall PGI score by 10%.
- A & N Islands, Lakshadweep and Punjab have improved by 10% or more in the PGI domain: Access
- Around 13 States/ UTs have improved by 10% in the PGI domain: Infrastructure and facilities.
- Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Odisha showed 10% improvement in the PGI domain: Equity.
- 19 States/UTs have improved by 10% in the PGI domain: Governance process.
ii.Lowest Ranked States – Chhattisgarh (700), Nagaland (667), Meghalaya (649), Ladakh UT (545). It was the 1st time that Ladakh UT was included separately in the report.
iii.In the 2018-19 PGI, Chandigarh, Gujarat, and Kerala topped the index.
Expected outcomes of PGI
It will help States/UTs to undertake multi-pronged interventions to achieve optimal education outcomes.
- It will help find gaps and prioritize areas for intervention.
Recent Related News:
On March 4, 2021, the unveiling of QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) World University Rankings by Subject 2021 was held virtually which was addressed by Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Ministry of Education (MoE).
About Ministry of Education
Union Minister – Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ (Haridwar, Uttarakhand)
Minister of State – Dhotre Sanjay Shamrao (Akola, Maharashtra)