On June 24, 2022, MK Stalin, the Chief Minister (CM) of Tamil Nadu (TN), launched a number of initiatives during the Tamil Nadu Advanced Manufacturing Conclave 2022 at Taramani, Chennai, TN, to help industry adopt new technology and remain competitive.
By 2030, the State of TN aspires to have a USD 1 trillion economy with a USD 250 billion manufacturing sector.
Initiatives Launched at Tamil Nadu Advanced Manufacturing Conclave 2022
i. Tamil Nadu Centre of Excellence in Advance Manufacturing (TANCAM), India’s first of its kind Center of Excellence (CoE), was inaugurated in the TIDEL Park at Taramani in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- It is a Rs. 212 crore joint venture between the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (TIDCO) and the French firm Dassault Systems.
ii.Two innovation centres were inaugurated at the SIPCOT Industrial Parks in Hosur and Sriperumbudur.
- They were built for a total of Rs. 33.46 crore to foster industrial innovation in collaboration with the Coimbatore Innovation and Business Incubator (CIBI).
iii. The foundation stone was laid for the Neo-TIDEL Parks in Tiruppur and Villupuram districts of TN, which will cost around Rs. 76.90 crore.
iv.‘Industry 4.0 Survey’, which is undertaken by Guidance Tamil Nadu and the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom (UK), was also launched.
Significance Of the Initiatives:
i.TANCAM will offer a dedicated IT (Information technology) engineering ecosystem, to serve the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) industry and students.
- It will enable the growth of various industries like aerospace, defence, automotive and electric vehicles.
- It will also provide the state with the latest technologies, such as the 3D experience platform.
ii.Each SIPCOT Industrial Innovation Center has a total built-up area of 23,500 square feet, which includes co-working spaces, meeting and event spaces, innovation labs with equipment and other resources.
- These facilities are intended to be world’s best incubation centres that can foster and accelerate industrial innovations and technology-driven start-ups.
iii. The new Neo-TIDEL Parks will be built by TIDEL at a cost of Rs 40 crore and Rs 32 crore, respectively, in the districts of Tiruppur and Villupuram. This will enable IT companies to establish development centres in the Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities.
- The Tiruppur facility is anticipated to be completed by May 2023, while the Villupuram facility is anticipated to be completed in May 2023.
iv.TIDCO will undertake the Industry 4.0 Maturity Index Survey in collaboration with Infosys, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Madras, and the University of Nottingham, UK.
- This survey is based on the Industry 4.0 Maturity Index developed by Infosys in partnership with the National Academy of Science and Engineering in Germany.
- It will empower companies to evaluate, identify, and create appropriate strategies to meet their Industry 4.0 targets.
Note: Two CoEs, Tamil Nadu Smart and Advanced Manufacturing Centre (TANSAM) in partnership with M/s. Siemens and Tamil Nadu Advanced Manufacturing Centre of Excellence (TAMCOE) in collaboration with GE Aviation, are to be commissioned in future.
TN Department of Higher Education Launched Portal for Financial Aid to Students
The TN Government’s Department of Higher Education has launched a portal, https://penkalvi.gov.in, where beneficiaries can register from June 25-30, 2022.
Under a financial assistance scheme, the TN government would provide Rs. 1,000 per year to each girl student from middle school until she completes her college education.
i. The students who studied in government schools from Class VI to Class XII and college students who fulfil the criteria are eligible to use the facility.
ii.Undergraduate college students are required to furnish details about their school education, bank account details, and Aadhaar number.
- Along with photocopies of these documents, copies of their Class X and Class XII mark sheets, must also be produced.
iii. The Directorate of Collegiate Education and the Directorate of Technical Education have been advised by the Department of Higher Education to make sure the procedure is followed correctly.
About Tamil Nadu:
Governor – Ravindra Narayana Ravi
Dance – Ottan Koothu; Poikkal Kuthirai Aattam or Koothu; Kazhai Kothu
Nuclear Power Plant – Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, Tirunelveli