According to the ‘Times Higher Education(THE) World University Ranking 2024’, the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru (IISc Bengaluru) is Ranked No. 1 among Indian institutions, falling into the 201-250 band ranking for the first time since 2017. IISc Bengaluru has moved up from 251-300 band in 2023.
- With 91 Indian institutes included in the “THE World University Rankings 2024”, India is the fourth most–represented country on the list. In 2023,75 institutes from India were featured in the list.
- University of Oxford of United Kingdom(UK) ranked 1st in THE World University Rankings 2024 for the eighth consecutive year, while Stanford University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology(MIT) of United States of America(USA) in second and third places respectively.
Top Performing Indian Universities:
|Rank /Band||Name of the Institute|
|201-250||IISc Bengaluru (Karnataka)|
|501-600||Anna University (Tamil Nadu)|
|501-600||Jamia Millia Islamia (Delhi)|
|501-600||Mahatma Gandhi University (Kerala)|
|501-600||Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences (Himachal Pradesh)|
Performance of Indian Universities:
i.The 43 Indian universities ranked under 1,000 in THE World University Rankings 2024.
- The 4 Indian Universities in the 501-600 band are Anna University, Jamia Millia Islamia, Mahatma Gandhi University and Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences
- There are 19 Indian universities in the 601-800 band and 19 Indian universities in the 801-1000 Band of the ranking.
ii.The 20 new Indian universities were featured in the 2024 ranking.
iiiIndian Institute of Technology(IIT) – Indian School of Mines(ISM) Dhanbad(Jharkhand), IIT Patna(Bihar), IIT Guwahati(Assam), International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Hyderabad (Telangana) are featured in 601-800 band while IIT Gandhinagar(Gujarat) featured in 801-1000 band.
Seven IITs – Bombay( Mumbai, Maharashtra), Delhi, Guwahati (Assam), Kanpur(Uttar Pradesh), Kharagpur(West Bengal), Madras(Tamil Nadu), and Roorkee (Uttarakhand)- have opted out of THE World University Rankings in 2020, expressing concerns about the ranking’s transparency and standards.IIT Guwahati re-entered the rankings in 2023.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2024:
i.The 20th edition of ‘THE World University Rankings’ featured 1,904 universities across 108 countries and regions.
ii.The 2024 ranking analysed over 134 million citations across 16.5 million research publications and included survey responses from 68,402 scholars globally.
- The ranking includes 411,789 data points from more than 2,673 institutions.
iii.The United States of America (USA) is the most-represented country overall, with 169 institutions and the most-represented in the top 200 (56).
- Japan is the second most-represented country overall with 119 institutions.
iv.In addition to the 1,904 institutions listed in the ranking, 769 universities featured in the “reporter” status, which means they contributed data but did not match the eligibility criteria for a rank.
Top 10 Universities in the World:
|Rank||Name of the Institute|
|1||University of Oxford(UK)|
|2||Stanford University (USA)|
|3||Massachusetts Institute of Technology(USA)|
|5||University of Cambridge(UK)|
|7||California Institute of Technology(USA)|
|8||Imperial College London(UK)|
|9||University of California, Berkeley(USA)|
|10||Yale University (USA)|
The 2024 ranking is based on the 18 performance indicators which are grouped into five pillars,
i.Teaching (the learning environment): 29.5%
ii.Research environment (volume, income and reputation): 29%
iii.Research quality (citation impact, research strength, research excellence and research influence): 30%
iv.International outlook (staff, students and research): 7.5%
v.Industry (income and patents): 4%
Top Performers – Pillar wise:
- Stanford University – Teaching
- Oxford University and Cambridge University – research environment
- MIT – research quality
- The University of Sharjah(United Arab Emirates – UAE) – international outlook
- 28 institutions received a top score of 100 for the industry
Recent Related News:
i.Mahatma Gandhi University (MGU), Kerala has emerged as the top among Indian universities and secured 77 globally in the Times Higher Education(THE) ‘Young University Rankings(YUR)-2023, Singapore tops the list in 2023.
ii.According to Times Higher Education (THE) Asia University Rankings 2023, released on 22nd June 2023, the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bengaluru (Karnataka) is ranked 1st in India and 48th on the overall list, China’s Tsinghua University tops the list.
About Times Higher Education (THE):
THE (Formerly The Times Higher Education Supplement (The Thes) is a British magazine reporting on news and issues related to higher education.
CEO– Paul HowarthHeadquarters– London, United Kingdom (UK)