On Occasion of its 34th Foundation Day on February 10, 2021, Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC) an autonomous organisation under Department of Science & Technology launched 2 new initiatives namely SAKSHAM Job Portal (Shramik Shakti Manch) & Sea Weed Mission. During the event, 2 New reports prepared by TIFAC were launched by Dr Vijay Chauthaiwale, independent Healthcare consultant. They are
- ‘Techno-economic feasibility on Indian bamboo as Wood Substitute’
- ‘Opportunities for Fruit and Vegetable Processing in North Eastern region of India’
The theme of the Foundation Day was ‘Technology, Innovation and Economy for Aatma Nirbhar Bharat’
It is a job portal for mapping the skills of Shramiks (Workers) and connecting them directly to MSMEs (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) in their native places through WhatsApp & other offline platforms.
- The portal is now live and can be accessed at www.sakshamtifac.org. The MSME industries have been enlisted from Tamil Nadu, Bihar, Maharashtra etc.
- It will enable placement of 10 Lakh Blue-Collar jobs (Pan-India) through direct connections and eliminate the need for middlemen & labour contractors.
- The portal will also be used for identification of skill proficiency level and in development of Skill Cards for Shramiks.
- It has been launched keeping in mind the crisis faced by workers during the pandemic.
- As the industry contribution to the project, M/s. Sapio Analytics, Mumbai has agreed to give complimentary license of a business automation and accounting software to the MSMEs towards encouraging them to fill up their data and requirements on the portal on a first come first basis.
i.For Commercial Farming & Value Addition of seaweeds to boost the national economy.
ii.By an estimate, if seaweed cultivation is carried out in ~ 10 Million Hectares or 5% of the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of India it will generate employment to ~ 50 Million People.
iii.The Seaweed mission will be vital for
- Establishing a new seaweed industry
- Contribute to national Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
- Ocean Productivity
- Reduce Algal Blooms
- Help in reduction of millions of tons of CO2
- Creating a Healthier Ocean
- Production of Bioethanol of upto 6.6 Billion Litres
iv.TIFAC will demonstrate a model with other ministries for commercial farming & value addition of seaweeds.
v.Out of the global seaweed production of ~ 32 million tons fresh weight valued around 12 billion US dollars. China produces ~57 %, Indonesia ~28% followed by South Korea, whereas India is having a mere share of ~0.01-0.02%.
Other Key Points:
- Professor Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary of DST stated that Science Technology and Innovation Policy (STIP) & TIFAC can help in realizing Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Aatma Nirbhar Bharat’ in every sector.
- K. Saraswat, Chairman of TIFAC stated that the key priority areas in the future should be cyber-physical systems, quantum computing, green chemistry and water.
- The National Research Foundation (NRF) announced in the National Education Policy 2020 (NEP 2020) would help in creating a sound platform for research in our country.
Recent Related News:
i.The Union Minister of Science and Technology, Earth Sciences Health & Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan, released the Action Agenda for Atma Nirbhar Bharat (AAAN) prepared by TIFAC in New Delhi.
ii.On 10th July 2020, the Union Minister Dr.Harsh Vardhan released a White Paper on “Focused Interventions for Make in India Post COVID 19” & “Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients: Status, Issues, Technology Readiness and Challenges” prepared by TIFAC.
About Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC):
Executive Director – Pradeep Srivastava
Headquarters – New Delhi