In accordance with the ‘Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022’, 3 Indian universities made it to the top 400 global rankings. Among them, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru (Karnataka) is on the top and continues to be between 301-350 cohort.
- It was followed by IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)-Ropar (Punjab) which also retained its position in the 351-400 group.
- Mysuru (Karnataka) based private university JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research made its debut in the global rankings while grabbing a place in the 351-400 group.
The individual ranking was provided to the first 200 in the global list. Notably, Universities that published high-impact research on Covid-19 have found place in this list. This University Rankings is topped by the United Kingdom’s (UK) University of Oxford for the 6th consecutive year.
- It was followed by the United States’ (US) California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and Harvard University at rank 2nd, and Stanford University at rank 4th. UK’s Cambridge University is placed at 5th position alongside US’ Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- From Asia, China’s Peking University and Tsinghua University topped the list with a global joint ranking of 16.
- The maximum universities in the top 200 list are from the US (57) followed by the UK (28), and Germany (22).
Table showing Top Global and Indian Universities:
|301-350||Indian Institute of Science (IISc)||Bengaluru (Karnataka)|
|351-400||IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)-Ropar||Punjab|
|351-400||JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research||Mysuru, Karnataka|
|1||University of Oxford||UK|
|2||California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||US|
|5||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||US|
i.India is home to 35 universities in the global top 1,000 list.
ii.IIT Indore (Madhya Pradesh) is placed in the group of 401-500 while Alagappa University (Tamil Nadu) and Thapar University (Punjab) were in the 501-600 cohort.
iii.10 Indian Universities, including Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi Technology University (DTU), Jamia Millia Islamia (New Delhi) and Panjab University (Chandigarh) were listed in the 601-800 band.
- Delhi University slipped from last year’s ranking of 601-800 to the 801-1,000 band.
iv.Saudi Arabia entered the world top 200 for the first time, with King Abdulaziz University reaching 190th place.
v.The top 7 IITs, including at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kanpur, did not participate in the above rankings for the second consecutive year as they are not satisfied with the ranking methodology.
About World University Rankings 2022:
It included 1,662 universities across 99 countries and territories. It is the largest and most diverse university rankings to date.
- The rankings are premised upon the 13 indicators that measure an institution’s performance across four areas: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
Recent Related News:
i.The Global Cybersecurity Index 2020 (GCI 2020) – 4th Edition was released by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the UN agency for Information & Communication Technologies (ICT). India with a score of 97.5 has been ranked 10th in the Index. The US topped the index, UK & Saudi Arabia shared the 2nd spot while Estonia took the 3rd rank.
About Times Higher Education (THE):
It is a magazine reporting specifically on news and issues related to higher education.
Former Name– The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES)
First issue– October 1971
Headquarter– London, United Kingdom (UK)