Movement, innovation and Brazilian flavour
- These are the three qualities that form the essence of the Rio 2016 Olympic torch, which was unveiled on Friday (3 July) morning in Brasília.
- Its design aims to reflect the meeting of the Olympic flame with the human warmth of the Brazilian people, the hosts of the first Olympic Games in South America.
- The torch’s texture has triangles running the length of its body, alluding to the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect, and the floating effect of its different segments refers to the efforts of the athletes.
- One of its main innovations is the movement of these segments, which open up and expand vertically when the Olympic flame is passed from one torchbearer to another. This is known as “the kiss of the torches”.
- “The design of the Rio 2016 torch was inspired by the Olympic Spirit, our country’s nature, and the harmonious diversity and energy of our people,” said Beth Lula, Rio 2016’s brand director.
- Over the next two months, Rio 2016 and the torch relay partners – Coca-Cola, Nissan and Bradesco – will announce public campaigns to select the torchbearers.
See below for the list of the 83 cities that will be the final destination of the Olympic flame on each day (except days when technical breaks or special photo events will take place) of the Rio 2016 torch relay:
Brasília, Anápolis, Goiânia, Caldas Novas, Uberlândia, Patos de Minas, Montes Claros, Curvelo, Governador, Valadares, Itabira, Belo, Horizonte, Juiz de Fora, Cachoeiro de Itapemirim, Vitória , São Mateus, Porto Seguro, Vitória da Conquista, Ilhéus, Valença, Salvador, Senhor do Bonfim, Petrolina, Paulo Afonso, Aracaju, Maceió, Caruaru, Recife, Campina Grande, João Pessoa, Natal, Mossoró, Fortaleza, Sobral, Parnaíba, Teresina, Imperatriz, Palmas, São Luís, Belém, Macapá, Santarém, Boa Vista, Manaus, Rio Branco, Porto Velho, Cuiabá, Campo Grande, Dourados, Presidente Prudente, Londrina, Cascavel, Foz do Iguaçu ,Pato Branco, Passo Fundo, Santa Maria, Pelotas, Porto Alegre, Caxias do Sul, Criciúma, Florianopólis, Blumenau, Joinville, Curitiba, Ponta Grossa, Itapetininga, Bauru, Ribeirão Preto, Franca, Campinas, Osasco, São Bernado, São Paulo, Santos, São José dos Campos, Angra dos Reis, Volta Redonda, Petrópolis,Nova Friburgo, Macaé,Cabo Frio, Niterói, Nova Iguaçu, Rio de Janeiro.
This article is penned by Megamind