Sitaram Yechury has been elected the General Secretary of the Communist Party of India-Marxist Party (CPM). The senior leader of the party was elected at the six-day 21st congress meet at Visakhapatnam. He was proposed by Prakash Karat, the out-going General Secretary of CPM party and also by S Ramachandran Pillai, the front-runner who withdrew from the race. Prakash Karat has finished his 3 terms as the general secretary.
He will head the 50 year old CPM party as the fifth General Secretary. The meeting also elected the 91 members of the Central Commitee which is considered the highest executive body. It also named 5 permanent invitees and 5 special invitees.
Sitaram Yechury after taking charge and introduced a 16-member Politburo.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Sitaram Yechury was born in August 12, 1952 and indain politician
- He is a member of the politburo of CPI (M) and the party’s Parliamentary group leader
- Politburo means the highest policy making government authority as in Communist party in the Soviet Union.
- The politburo members in the team are Sitaram Yechury, Prakash Karat, Brinda Karat, S. Ramchandran Pillai, Biman Basu, Manik Sarkar, Pinyarayi Vijayan, B.V. Raghavulu, K. Balakrishnan, M.A. Baby, S.K. Mishra, A.K. Padmanabhan, Mohammed Saleem, Subhashini Ali, Hannan Mollah and G. Ramakrishnan.
- The four new politburo team members are Mohammed Saleem, Subhashini Ali, Hannan Mollah and G. Ramakrishnan. Subhashini Ali is considered the second woman in the politburo after Brinda Karat.
- Yechury has authored the following books: Left Hand Drive, What is this Hindu Rashtra,Socialism in 21st Century,Communalism vs. Secularism.
Source – Times of India, Live Mint, NDTV,Wiki