Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (Amrita University), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, has emerged as the top Indian university on the Times Higher Education(THE) Impact Rankings 2023. 2023 Impact Rankings is the 5th edition of THE Impact ranking.
- Globally, Amrita University is ranked 52 among the 1,591 universities from 112 countries.
- Western Sydney University in Australia has topped the overall ranking for the second year in a row followed by the University of Manchester, in the United Kingdom(UK) and Queen’s University in Canada.
- Amrita University, founded in 2003, is the youngest university to become credited “A” by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- The university is a multi-disciplinary institution located across 5 campuses: TN(Coimbatore), Karnataka (Bengaluru, & Mysuru), and Kerala (Amritapuri, & Kochi)
About Impact Ranking:
i.THE Impact Rankings is a global performance table that assesses universities against the United Nations (UN)’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The universities are ranked individually over the 17 SDGs.
ii.The Impact ranking was first launched in 2019 with 450 universities. participating
i.The methodology was developed in conjunction with Vertigo Ventures and Elsevier.
ii.To feature on the overall ranking table, universities had to submit SDG 17 (Partnerships for the Goals) and a minimum of 3 other SDGs.
Top 5 on the overall ranking:
|Rank||Name of the University||Country|
|1||Western Sydney University||Australia|
|2||University of Manchester||United Kingdom|
|4||Universiti Sains Malaysia||Malaysia|
|5||University of Tasmania||Australia|
Top 3 Indian Universities on the overall ranking:
|Rank||Name of the University||State|
|52||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu|
|101-200||Lovely Professional University(LPU)||Phagwara, Punjab|
|101-200||Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences||Bajhol, Himachal Pradesh|
|201-300||Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) University||Bhubaneswar, Odisha|
Indian University among top 100 under Each SDG:
- For SDG 1: No Poverty: JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research (Mysuru, Karnataka) is ranked 65th.
- For SDG 2: Zero Hunger: LPU is ranked 41st.
- For SDG 3: Good Health and Well Being: JSS Academy is ranked 16th and Amrita university is ranked 23rd and Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Chennai, TN) is ranked 83rd.
- For SDG 4: Quality Education: Amrita university is ranked 9th, Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal, Karnataka) is ranked 25th and B. S. Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science and Technology (Vandalur, TN) is ranked 75th.
- For SDG 5: Gender Equality: Manipal Academy of Higher Education is ranked 4th and Amrita university is ranked 46th.
- For SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation: Amrita University is ranked 24th and Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences is ranked 41st and B. S. Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science and Technology and SRM Institute of Science and Technology (Chennai, TN) at 77th.
- For SDG 7: Affordable and Clean Energy: Indian Institute of Technology(IIT) Guwahati(Assam) is ranked 6th and Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences(TN) is ranked 18th, Chitkara University(Chandigarh) ranked 40th and Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences at 43 and LPU at 77th
- For SDG 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth: University of Calcutta (Kolkata, West Bengal) is ranked 52nd and LPU at 97th rank.
- For SDG 10: Reduced Inequalities: KIIT University is ranked 17th.
- For SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production: Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences ranked 44th and IIT Gandhinagar (Gujarat) is ranked 54th.
About Times Higher Education(THE):
Mission: To be the definitive source of data, insight, and expertise on higher education around the world.
First issue– October 1971
Headquarters– London, United Kingdom (UK)