During the 2021 United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development held virtually from Berlin (Germany) between May 17-19, 2021, Tata Communications launched their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) project – ‘School of Hope and Empowerment (S.H.E)’ for empowering Indian women.
- Objective – To inspire at least a million women from small towns to realise their dreams of becoming entrepreneurs.
- The initiative has been developed by Tata Communications in conjunction with The Better India, an effect driven Indian digital media platform.
- It will offer business grants, mentorship, digital training, and other key resources for women to realize their entrepreneurial dreams
Components of the Project
i.Utilizing the power of digital connectivity & partnerships, the initiative will create an environment for women from marginalized communities to establish themselves as entrepreneurs and leaders in their communities.
ii.During the 1st phase,
- S.H.E will focus on aspiring women entrepreneurs aged between 18-35 years from low-income backgrounds in the peri-urban areas of Jharkhand like Dhanbad, Bokaro, East Singhbhum, Hazaribagh and Ranchi.
- These regions have just 25% of women in the labour forces and limited employment opportunities.
- It will address the challenges of financial independence of the women in these regions.
iii.During the next 2 phases of the project, entrepreneurial women in Odisha and Bihar will be included.
UNESCO – Environmental Education to be part of Curriculum by 2025
During the World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development, UNESCO has set a new target to make environmental education a core curriculum component in all countries by 2025.
- UNESCO is working with 193 member states to support curriculum reform and track progress.
Recent Related News:
March 8, 2021, Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google stated that Google.org the Philanthropic arm of Google will support 1 Million women entrepreneurs in rural India. It will be implemented through Google’s ‘Women Will’ web platform.
About Tata Communications
MD & CEO – Amur Swaminathan Lakshminarayanan (Lakshmi)
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
About United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Director-General – Audrey Azoulay
Headquarters – Paris, France