Suvarna Raju T was appointed as the Chairman of the state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). He will be succeeding his predecessor R.K. Tyagi. Suvarna Raju has a master’s degrees in business administration and in defence and strategic studies. Currently, Raju is the Chairman of the Bangalore chapter of the Aeronautical Society of India.
Raju drafted the company’s first R&D policy and spearheaded India’s self-reliance in producing 25 kN (kilo Newton) turbofan engines. Raju played an instrumental role in establishing a production line of Hawk Mk 132 aircraft and also Mirage 2000 aircraft maintenance project.
Knowledge is Wealth
- HAL was established in 1940 and it’s Head Quarters in Bengaluru.
- HAL built the first military aircraft in South Asia.
- HAL Ex-Chairman, Dr. R.K. Tyagi was conferred with “JGBS-Top Rankers’ Excellence Award for CEO of the year” on January 2015.
- HAL has annual turnover of over US$2 billion.
- India’s first jet aircraft – HF-24 Marut – was manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics.