Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was on an official visit to Bangladesh on 22nd and 23rd October 2017.This visit of Ms. Swaraj was on invitation by Bangladeshi counterpart, AH Mahmood Ali.
- During the course of this visit, Swaraj co-chaired meeting of the fourth Joint Cooperation Committee (JCC) and also met Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- It is to be noted that India-Bangladesh bilateral economic relations have strengthened considerably in recent years.
Swaraj co-chairs 4th JCC meeting with Bangladesh FM
On October 22, 2017, Ms. Sushma Swaraj co-chaired the fourth Joint Cooperation Committee (JCC) meeting with Bangladesh Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali.
- The meeting was held in Dhaka. During the meeting, both the ministers reviewed various aspects of bilateral relations between India and Bangladesh.
- Implementation and progress of decisions taken during Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s visit to India in April 2017 were also reviewed.
- 3rd meeting of JCC was held in New Delhi in 2014.
Sushma Swaraj opens India’s new chancery complex in Dhaka
On October 23, 2017, Ms. Sushma Swaraj opened the new chancery complex of the Indian High Commission in Dhaka. Swaraj had lit the ceremonial lamp to mark the opening of this complex.
- Built on the 5-acre plot of land, the complex consists of the residence of the Indian High Commissioner, a housing block, a sports complex, and a multipurpose recreation hall.
- During the opening ceremony, Swaraj also launched 15 development projects in Bangladesh which have been funded by India.
- These development projects cater to the areas of education, health care, information technology, water supply, and social welfare and entails investment of about USD 8.7 million.
Quick Facts about Bangladesh:
- Capital – Dhaka
- Currency – Taka
- Current Prime Minister – Sheikh Hasina