The district administration and political parties have decided to minimise carbon impression in the Sundarbans islands to ensure least possible damage to the ecosystem of the Sundarbans during this polling season.
- The objective of this programme to maintain a clean and green Sundarbans this polling season.
- In an all-party meeting where he said a consensus was reached to restrict the use of plastic or any other non-biodegradable material during the campaign.
Pledges made by Political Parties:
- The Parties also decided to keep away Plastic flex which is being substituted by banners made of cotton or jute while paper cups are being preferred over plastic cups this year.
- It is being done both for poll campaigning by all political parties as well as during voter awareness programs and training sessions of poll this year.
- LPG vehicles or electric-run vans are being promoted instead of smoke-guzzling cars for the purpose of transport.
- The green project is being implemented in all the 13 Assembly constituencies of South 24 Parganas district of the Sundarbans.
- Sundarbans being UNESCO World Heritage site famed for its tigers and mangrove forests, lies in the adjoining North 24 Parganas district.
- It is the largest single block of tidal halophytic mangrove forest in the world, covers approximately 10,000 square kilometres most of which is inBangladesh with the remainder in India.
- The Sundarbans is a UNESCO World Heritage Site