The 2016 Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour Awards was announced on November 10, 2016, and Former World’s No. 1 Swiss Tennis Player Roger Federer has won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the 12th time in his career.
- He won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award voted by his peers, against Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka and Rafael Nadal who were also nominated in the category.
- Federer also won the ‘fan favourite’ award, voted upon by players to pick the player they liked the most over the season – an award Federer won in 2016 for a 14th straight year.
Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award
The award is given for sportsmanship in the name of former World’s No. 1 Stefan Edberg, former coach of Federer.
- He was known for his sportsmanship and on-court demeanour.
- This award is given to players who display the “spirit of the sport” on court. Federer, known for his graciousness, is a longtime recipient of the award. Federer won this award for the first time in 2004 and except for 2010, has won it across all these years.
The Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP)
The Association of Tennis Professionals, every year presents its players with various categories of awards which are voted on by fellow players.
- Awards include those for gameplay, sportsmanship, improvement, comeback player along with ATP Star of Tomorrow Award, for young players who are seen as future stars.
The other categories of Awards
Fans’ Favorite Doubles Category
The Bryan Brothers won the Fans’ Favourite in doubles team for 6th successive years. The American pair is known for their congenial, friendly nature and their extensive philanthropic work off the court.
Coach of the Year award
Magnus Norman, Stan Wawrinka’s coach won the inaugural ATP Coach of the Year award. Wawrinka has been working with Norman since 2013, in which he won all of his 3 Grand Slam titles.
Comeback Player of the Year
Juan Martin Del Potro was awarded the Comeback Player of the Year. The Argentine player, struggled with injury in the years along with his 2009 US Open title, and made a few comebacks in the years but was unable to sustain them. This year, Delpo, has beat a number of top-10 player, at the biggest stages of competition, and also won a silver medal at the Olympics this year.
Arthur Ashe Humanitarian award
Marin Cilic was awarded with the Arthur Ashe Humanitarian award for the support his foundation provides to support promotion of education.
Most improved player of the
This award is given to a player who has risen the most in the rankings and has shown the most marked increase in performance levels. Alexander Zverev was awarded the Most improved player of the year
Newcomer of the Year
Lucas Pouille was awarded as the Newcomer of the Year.
Star of Tomorrow
Taylor Fritz was awarded as the ATP Star of Tomorrow. The 19-year-old American is the youngest player in the top-100 of the ATP rankings.