Sri Lankan Prime minister Ranil Wickremsinghe inaugurated the five day long 69th session of WHO (World Health Organisation) Regional committee meeting at Colombo on 5 September 2016.
- In the Regional meeting all the 11 countries of South East Asia including India’s Health and Family Welfare Minister JP Nadda took part in the event.
- The Minister will also lead a Yoga session as part of ‘Be the change’ theme for promoting physical activities.
- The Regional meeting will discuss about various ways of strengthening health systems response to address Non-communicable diseases (NCD) at the primary health care level and achieve the Sustainable development goals set by UN in health sector.
- Sri Lanka will adapt the declaration on Non-communicable diseases, also the resolutions and Adoption of the report of the 69 th Session of the Regional Committee. In the end of the meeting it will declare that Sri Lanka to be the first country in region to eliminate malaria.
- The meet will also see a discussion about the issues of ignored tropical diseases, anti-microbial resistance, emergency health care systems and incomplete targets of Millennium development goals, deadline for which expired in 2015
World Health Organisation:
- Inception: April 7, 1948
- Headquarters Geneva, Switzerland
- Director General: Margaret Chan
Sri Lanka :
- Capitals: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, Colombo
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- President: Maithripala Sirisena
- Prime minister: Ranil Wickremesinghe