The Union Sports Ministry has revised the Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar scheme, which was launched in 2009 by UPA Government to popularize the involvement of corporate and institutional boards in sports.
The award will now be given for four different categories. They are,
- Identification and nurturing of budding talent
- Encouragement of sports through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Employment of sports persons and sports welfare measures
- Sports for development
The companies can now spend the money allocated for CSR on promotion and development of sports. The fourth category ie Sports for development is exclusively for Non-Govenmental Organizations.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The current Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports is the Minister of State (Independent Charge) Sarbananda Sonowal.
- The Department of Youth Affairs gives two awards. ie Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award and Indira Gandhi NSS Award.
- The awards associated with Indian Sports include Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy, Dhyanchand Award for Lifetime achievement in Sports and Games, Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar.
- The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna is India’s highest honour given for achievement in sports.