With an aim to promote and provide due acknowledgement and importance to sports having regional spread, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has recognized the Indian Kalarippayattu Federation (IKF) as Regional Sports Federation (RSF) with immediate effect.
About the Sport:
- Kalaripayattu sport is a Martial art played in Southern state of Kerala and in contiguous parts of Tamil Nadu.
- It was originated as a style in Kerala during 3nd century BC to the 2nd century AD.
- The word “Kalari” first appears in Sangam literatureto describe both a battlefield and combat arena.
- It is considered to be one of the oldest fighting systems in existence and was originally practiced in northern and central parts of Kerala and the Tulunadu region of Karnataka.
This recognition means granting a major role to the Indian Kalarippayattu Federation for promotion and development of Kalarippayattu sport across the country.
Key Points to Remember:
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports – Sarbananda Sonowal
- Kelara State Chief Minister – Oommen Chandy
- Kerala State Governor – Justice (Retd) P. Sathasivam