On April 5, 2021, Spices Board India under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry & UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) India’s Accelerator Lab signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for developing a blockchain-based traceability interface for Indian Spices to enhance transparency in supply chain and trade.
- UNDP and Spices Board India are working towards integrating the Blockchain Traceability Interface with the e-Spice Bazaar portal developed by Spices Board India for connecting spices farmers with markets.
- The Design of the Blockchain interface is expected to be completed by May 21, 2021.
- The project will be piloted with over 3, 000 farmers engaged in Chilli and Turmeric Farming in a few select districts of Andhra Pradesh.
India is the largest exporter, producer & consumer of spices in the world. India’s spices export crossed a milestone of 3 Billion USD during 2019-20, it is expected to achieve a new high during 2020-21.
- It will connect the Spice farmers with international markets and add to their income.
- It will strengthen the supply chain so as to position India as the premier destination for clean and safe spices to the world.
- The interface will boost consumer confidence and facilitate the sourcing of spices for exports & as well as for local value addition and use.
- Upon successful demonstration, the Spices Board of India will expand the reach of the Traceability interface to cover all major spices and regions of India.
Spice Board of India
i.It was constituted on 26th February 1987 under the Spices Board Act 1986.
ii.It is one of the five Commodity Boards functioning under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. The other four commodity boards being Coffee, Rubber, Tea & Tobacco.
iii. It is responsible for the Export promotion of 52 Scheduled spices and the development of Cardamom (Small & Large).
iv.Its responsible for Research, Development & Regulation; post-harvest improvement of spices; development of spices in the North East; Regulation of quality of spices for exports.
- A Decentralized process of recording transactions on an open and shared electronic ledger.
- It allows for ease and transparency in data management across completing networking, including, farmers, brokers, distributors & others.
- It will help in making the supply chain more efficient and equitable.
Recent Related News:
i.On October 5, 2020, Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani released Sanction letters to two Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) for the Country’s First-Ever Organic Spices Seed Park in Patan&Banaskantha districts for production of Cumin & Fennel Seeds.
About United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UNDP works across 170 Countries
Established Year – 1965
Administrator – Achim Steiner
Headquarters – New York, USA
About Spices Board India:
Chairman & Secretary – D Sathiyan
Headquarters – Kochi, Kerala