The government on 26th march 2015 announced the results of the biggest auction of 2G and 3G airwaves after Supreme Court lifted its ban. On February 26, the apex court allowed the government to go ahead with the auction of spectrum of bands 800, 900, 1800 and 2100 for all States from March 4. However, it said the result of the auction should not be finalised without its permission.
Points To Remeber:
- Idea Cellular, the country’s third largest operator, bid a maximum of Rs.30,306.98 crore to buy spectrum in the 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2,100 MHz bands.
- Airtel bid Rs.29,130.20 crore in the same bands.
- Vodafone bid Rs.29,959.74 crore in the same bands.
- Mukesh Ambani-run Reliance Jio and Anil Ambani-led Reliance Communication bid bought spectrum in 800 MHz and 1800 MHz bands for Rs.10,077.53 crore and Rs.4,299.13 crore, respectively.
- Tata Teleservices will shell out Rs.7,851.33 crore for radiowaves in 800 MHz and 1800 MHz.
- Aircel will pay Rs.2,250 crore for spectrum in 1800 MHz band.
- Norway’s Telenor was the only company participant not to win any spectrum.