On August 22, 2019, The Union Minister for Textiles Smriti Zubin Irani has inaugurated Project SU.RE(Sustainable Resolution), a joint project of CMAI(Clothing Manufacturers Association of India)& IMG Reliance(International Management Group, during Lakme Fashion Winter/Festive 2019) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.Key points:
i. The project was launched by Smriti Irani as well as the organizers of Lakme Fashion Week (CMAI, United Nations in India, and IMG Reliance).
ii. The aim of this initiative is to move towards sustainable fashion that contributes to a clean environment.
iii. It is the 1st ever project in India’s apparel industry that 16 biggest fashion brands of India (such as Future Group, Aditya Birla Retail, Shoppers Stop, Arvind Brands) come together to set a sustainable pathway for the Indian Fashion Industry and is also a major step towards responsible and smart business. The combined industry value of the the 16 signatories to the resolution is around Rs 30,000 crore.
iv. It would help the Indian fashion industry to reduce carbon emissions, increase the efficiency of resources, combat waste and water management, and create positive social impact to achieve long-term sustainability targets.
v. The 5major Sustainable Resolution are,
- To understand the environmental impact of the garments being currently produced.
- To create a sustainable framework for prioritizing & utilizing certified raw materials that have a positive impact on the environment.
- To make a better decision by selecting sustainable and renewable materials and ensuring their traceability.
- To reach this initiative effectively to consumers through online and physical stores, product tags/labeling, social media, advertising campaigns, and events.
- To shift a significant percentage of supply chain to a sustainable chain by the year 2025 & to address critical global issues such as climate change.
About Ministry for Textiles:
Headquarters: New Delhi