According to the latest “Women Entrepreneur Cities Index 2019”, sponsored by Dell and conducted by London-based global information provider, IHS Markit, Singapore tops in Asian city ranked at 21st position, while Indian cities Bengaluru(Karnataka) and Delhi were ranked 43rd (7th in Asia) and 50th (10th in Asia) respectively.Key points:
- 5 pillars basis: The ranking measures a city’s ability to attract and support high potential women entrepreneurs. And it is constructed using five “pillars” include market, talent, capital (all 3 under operating Environment), culture and technology(under Enabling Environment).
- Top of the chart: San Francisco Bay Area has topped the list with 63.7 points followed by New York(62.9 points) and London(3rd ).
- Category1: In terms of overall improvement made by the citied Delhi achieved the 26th rank globally and is improved in terms of the increasing availability of funding to women entrepreneurs.
- Category 2: In terms of representation of women on corporate boards, Paris performed better with 44% of the representation.
- WB report: As per the World Bank, women were not benefitted equally from India’s rapid economic growth even they make up 48% of the Indian population. It also stated that 65% of women are literate as compared to 80% of men & India has amongst the lowest female labor force participation rates in the world(Less than a third of women (15 years /older) are working or actively looking for a job.
- WLB: To help rural women set up, scale up their enterprises, the World Bank together with UN Women (a United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality and empowerment of women), and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) launched a five-year tenor ‘women’s livelihood bond(WLB)’ to raise Rs.300 crore.
♦ Currency: Singapore dollar
♦ President: Halimah Yacob
♦ Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong
♦ Chief minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
♦ Governor: Vajubhai Vala
♦ National Parks: Anshi National Park ,Bandipur National ,Bannerghatta National Park ,Kudremukh National Park.
About IHS Markit:
♦ Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
♦ CEO: Lance Uggla