India’s Food Regulator FSSAI organised a function commemorate 10 years of the enactment of Food Safety and Standard Act (FSSAI Act) on August 23rd 2016 in New Delhi.
- In the function various big heads were present also gave speech including Prime Minister Narendra Modi who in his congratulatory message emphasized the need for the Authority to focus on empowering the consumers so that the manufacturers and suppliers of food products become responsive to consumer needs, demands and expectations.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda, stated that Food safety is a very important health and economic issue. He also underlined the importance of safe food and said that it should be a part of ingrained culture in our country.
- He also appreciated FSSAI towards food safety in the country and called upon ‘two-way communication’ between the food businesses and the regulator.
- On this occasion, the Minister also released the special commemorative volume – a compilation of the history and over fifty invited articles from the scientists, experts, and industry people.
The function filled with cream of experts to discuss the steps to be taken to improve the food safety in India,
- One Panel discussed on Food Safety in unorganized sector – Challenges & Opportunities focused around mass training programme for small and petty food businesses like street food vendors, fruits and vegetable vendors jointly with Skill India. The other one was on Food Safety a shared responsibility.
[email protected] – 10th anniversary with 10 initiatives:
- All these initiatives have been developed collaboratively over the past few months along with other stakeholders and partners.
- This bunch of 10 initiatives dedicated on safe and nutritious food at home, school, workplace, religious places, in trains and railway stations, in restaurants and other places.
- In the event Food Safety Display Boards was launched that would help to connect the consumers directly to food safety officers.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
- Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006
- Formed : 2011
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Agency executive: Ashish Bahuguna