The 77 year old Shehnai maestro, Ustad Ali Ahmad Hussain Khan passed away leaving his mesmerising Indian Classical tunes with the world.
A Quick Look at his Life:
- Born on March 21,1939 in Kolkata
- He taught Shehnai at Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata in 1974
- He represented the Benaras School of Shehnai
- He was regularly featured on All India Radio and Indian Television
- He holds the distinction of composing the signature tune for Indian Television with Pandit Ravi Shankar
- In fact, he had also played at the inauguration ceremony of Doordarshan in 1973
- Khan had performed in several countries including Belgium, Russia, Switzerland, France, Tunisia, Singapore, Indonesia, Hongkong and the Philippines
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2009
- Bangabhushan’ award by the West Bengal government in 2012
The Shehnai is the descendent of the Persian Surna and is played on auspicious occasions, such as weddings and temple festivities. Bismillah Khan, who introduced the shehnai to the concert stage, is one of the best-known performers on this instrument.