Shambhavi Puraskar, 2017 has been persented to Hari Sankar Rout for his noteworthy contribution towards social change. The award was presented by Chief Guest, Rajiv Pratap Rudy – Union Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (Independent Charge) and Guest of Honour Prof. Swapan Kumar Datta, Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the Visva-Bharati University at a function held on April 16, 2017 in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- Large number of social workers, Govt. officials, representatives from corporate sector and NGOs attended this function.
- This was the 4th edition of Shambhavi Puraskar.
Accomplishments of Hari Shankar Rout:
Hari Shankar Rout is an engineer by profession. He has been working on natural resource management and livelihood promotion of marginalised communities in remote areas in Kandhamal district of Odisha
- Installation of a 7.5 KW micro-hydroelectric project by diverting water from a stream through pipeline to Dangarpadar village is the most remarkable contribution of Mr. Rout. This project has ensured 24 hour electricity supply, water for domestic usage and irrigation for the people in the village.
- Hari Shankar Rout is the founder secretary of Social Welfare Agency and Training Institute (SWATI). Through this institute, he has undertaken programmes like plantation-based livelihood, management of land, water, forest and biological resources for agricultural productivity and providing training in both on-farm and off-farm activities to primitive tribal groups residing at Belghar in Kandhamal.
About Shambhavi Puraskar:
Shambhavi Puraskar is a prestigious award given in recognition of innovative and sustained efforts by individuals to usher in a positive social change. It was instituted in 2014 by Bansidhar and Ila Panda Foundation (BIPF).
- Bansidhar & Ila Panda Foundation is the social development arm of Indian Metals & Ferro Alloys Ltd. It was established in year 2011.
- Its aim is to empower marginalised communities by undertaking initiatives in areas of Education, Healthcare, Water & Sanitation and Skill Development.
- The winner of Shamabhavi Puraskar is selected by an eminent jury comprising independent representatives from NGOs, media and BIPF. The winner receives a trophy, citation and a cash prize of Rs 2.5 lakh.