Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body under Department of Science and Technology (DST) has conferred the ‘SERB Women Excellence Award 2021’ to Four Young Women Fellows of National Science Academies for their excellence in Science and Engineering.
- The awards are provided a grant of INR 15 Lakhs for a period of 3 years (INR 5 Lakhs/annum) to pursue their research ideas.
- The awards were announced on occasion of the International Day of Women and Girls in Science 2021 (11th February, 2021).
|Awardees||Designation & Place||Area of Expertise|
|Shobhna Kapoor||Assistant Professor at IIT, Bombay|
|Dr. Antara Banerjee||Scientist B National Institute For Research In Reproductive Health, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Dr. Sonu Gandhi||Scientist D from National Institute Of Animal Biotechnology, Hyderabad|
|Dr. Ritu Gupta||Assistant Professor at IIT Jodhpur, Rajasthan|
i.The Women Excellence Awards were launched by SERB in 2013 to encourage basic research in science & engineering
ii.It is a one-time award given to women scientists who are below the age of 40 years of age & have received recognitions from National Academies such as Young Scientist Medal, Young Associateship.
iii.The list of National Sciences Academies from which they are selected are
- Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi
- Indian Academy of Science, Bangalore
- National Academy of Science, Allahabad
- Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi
- National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, New Delhi
Recent Related News:
i.On October 29, 2020 Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Science & Technology e-launched a scheme titled ‘SERB-POWER’,which is designed exclusively for women scientists.
About Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB):
SERB is a statutory body established through an Act of Parliament, SERB Act 2008 under Department of Science and Technology.
Secretary – Professor Sandeep Verma
Headquarters – New Delhi