Hindi Diwas is celebrated across the country on 14th of September to remember the historic occasion of the Hindi. It was started celebrating as a Hindi Diwas as Hindi written in Devnagari script was approved as an official language by the Constituent Assembly at 14th of September in the year 1949.
About Hindi Diwas :
Hindi Divas is an annual day celebrated on 14 September in Hindi speaking regions of India.
- Mostly this celebration is a government sponsored event in Central government of India offices, firms, schools and other institutions. It serves to promote and propagate the Hindi language.
- Its importance is demonstrated by feasts, events, competitions and other services held on this day. The event also serves as a patriotic reminder to Hindi-speaking populations of their common roots and unity.
- Hindi is spoken as a native language by 500 million people and is recognized as the 2nd most-spoken language in the world.Hindi Divas is celebrated on 14 September because on this day in 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India had adopted Hindi written in Devanagari script as the official language of the Republic of India.
- The decision of using Hindi as the official language was ratified by the Constitution of India that came into effect on 26 January 1950.
- Under the Article 343 of the Indian Constitution, Hindi written inDevanagari script was adopted as the official language. Now there are 22 Scheduled languages of India. Among them, 2 languages are officially used at Union government of India level: Hindi and English.
- Hindi Diwas is celebrated in the schools, colleges, offices, organizations and other enterprises as a Hindi Diwas with the unique programs and competitions organized related to Hindi poems, story recitations, vocabulary quizzes and etc.
- Hindi is the better mode of communication among the people in India so it should be promoted among each other. Hindi is known as the 2ndmost commonly spoken language of the world.
- Awards are distributed at this day by the President of India to the people for the superiority in different fields related to the Hindi at the Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Rajbhasha awards at Rashtrapati Bhawan on the occasion of Hindi Diwas. Vijaya Bank has bagged the second prize under Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar (Region C) for the year 2015-16. The prize was accepted by Kishore Sansi, Managing Director & CEO Vijaya Bank.
- The Rajbhasha awards were instituted by the Department of Official Language of Home Ministry to recognize the excellent contribution of Ministries, Departments and Nationalized Banks in the field of Hindi.
- Rajbhasha awards are given to the Departments, Ministries, PSUs and Nationalized Banks.
- The name of two of the awards which are distributed annually on the Hindi Diwas has been renamed by the Ministry of Home Affairs in its order on 25th of March in 2015.
- Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Puraskar has been changed to the Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar, and Rajiv Gandhi Rashtriya Gyan-Vigyan Maulik Pustak Lekhan Puraskar has been changed to the Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar.