On November 25, 2020, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) launched Securities Market Trainers (SMARTs) program, as a part of World Investor Week (WIW) 2020 being celebrated by SEBI in India from Nov 23, 2020 to Nov 29, 2020.
Aim: To enhance investor education and awareness.
- The education programs to be conducted under this will be free of cost to investors. It will be borne from SEBI’s Investor Protection and Education Fund (IEPF).
- The programs are conducted under the aegis of SEBI and are monitored directly by SEBI.
Reason behind this Launch:
This has been launched due to the uncertainty of economic growth and extra ordinarily buoyant market in present times. Also, there has been a surge of new investors in the securities markets in the last few months
The trainers of the programme are termed as SMARTs who also got trained at Maharashtra-based National Institute of Securities Market (NISM). They will conduct investor education programs in their respective geographical areas.
- The first batch includes 40 individuals across 16 states and union territories, covering 31 districts on a pan-India basis.
- More trainers will be empanelled at a pan-India level under the SMARTs program. In addition to individuals, organizations engaged in similar activity can also get enrolled as by undergoing training at NISM.
- In addition to individuals, organizations engaged in similar activity can also get enrolled as SMARTs.
About World Investor Week (WIW):
It is a week-long, global campaign promoted by International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) to raise awareness about the importance of investor education and protection. It is observed by IOSCO members on six continents.
IOSCO Secretary General– Paul P. Andrews
IOSCO Headquarters– Madrid, Spain
Recent Related News:
i.On October 3, 2020 The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the term extension of appointment of Madhabi Puri Buch, Whole-Time Member (WTM), SEBI for one year effective from October 4, 2020 or until further orders, whichever is earlier. She is the 1st & only woman WTM and also the 1st from the private sector to be appointed a SEBI Board member.
ii.On October 19, 2020, in an effort to set up Data Culture through Data Democratization in the Indian securities market, SEBI constituted a Market Data Advisory Committee (MDAC), Standing Committee. The committee is headed by Madhabi Puri Buch.
About Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
Chairman– Ajay Tyagi
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra