The Supreme Court on 17th March 2015 struck down the center controversial decision to grant reservation to Jats Community in jobs and educational institution terming it Negative and retrograde governance.
The Supreme Court has scrapped a year-old notification by the then-ruling Congress party-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) granting the status of a backward class to the Jat community.
This judgment will not have any bearing in the inclusion of the community in OBC lists notified by states. Except Gujarat, Jats are included in the list of OBCs in all the states mentioned above.
A Sign of Negative Governance
- UPA govt okay ed jobs & education quotas for Jats in 9 states before Lok Sabha Polls
- Himachal Pradesh
- National Capital Territory of Delhi,
- Bharatpur and Dholpur districts of Rajasthan
- Uttar Pradesh
- NDA govt defended quota in SC, saying Jats were made OBC”s in some states 10 years ago
- NCBC, which was against move, argued that jats weren’t socially backwars
- SC supported NCBC’s Move saying it is ‘ Sound & Reasonable’.
” Outdated statics csn’t provide accurate parameters for measuring backwardness for the purpose of inclusion in the list of OBCs. Facts…indicate negative governance in spite of perceptible development of nation” said Supreme Court