On December 6, 2021, Swachh Technology Challenge was launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs‘ (MoHUA) Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0 (SBM-U 2.0) during a virtual launch occasion. The challenge seeks entrepreneurial skills for India’s waste management sector that can be further utilized by the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) in implementing various components of SBM-U 2.0.
Reason behind this challenge:
Need for identifying indigenous, cost effective technologies that are easy to replicate and scale-up in the waste management sector
It is scheduled from December 6, 2021 to January 15, 2021 in four thematic categories, viz. social inclusion; zero dump (solid waste management); plastic waste management; and transparency through digital enablement.
i.It is designed as a sub-component of the ‘Citizen Engagement’ component under Swachh Survekshan 2022. Active participation of cities will have a direct bearing on their performance.
- The top three solutions in each of the four thematic categories will be felicitated at the Swachh Survekshan award ceremony hosted by MoHUA.
- As an additional incentive, top three state level solutions will be rewarded with a cash prize by respective State governments.
ii.Eligibility– Start-ups, individual entrepreneurs, educational institutions, local businesses, research and development organisations,NGOs, and other citizen groups
Swachhata Start-Up Challenge:
MoHUA will also launch the Swachhata Start-Up Challenge in collaboration with France’s AgenceFrançaise de Développement (AFD). It will be an extension to the Swachh Technology Challenge in January 2022.
- Winning solutions from start-ups under Swachh Technology Challenge will be eligible to participate in the Swachhata Start-Up Challenge.
- Winners under this challenge will be rewarded with seed funding of Rs 25 lakhs per project along with one year of dedicated incubation support from French Tech, the French government’s initiative to promote start-ups.
Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary, MoHUA; Roopa Mishra, Joint Secretary and National Mission Director, SBM-U, MoHUA along with senior government representatives including Principal Secretaries, Mission Directors and Municipal Commissioners from States and cities.
About Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0 (SBM-U 2.0):
The Union Cabinet approved the continuation of Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) till 2025-26 with an outlay of Rs 1,41,600 crores w.e.f. October 1, 2021. It will be regarded as SBM-Urban 2.0 with the aim of ‘Garbage Free’ Urban India.
- Out of the total outlay, Central share is Rs 36,465 for the period 2021-22 to 2025-26.
Recent Related News:
MoHUA in association with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) launched the “Main Bhi Digital 3.0” -A special Campaign for Digital Onboarding and Training for street vendors under Pradhan Mantri Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) Scheme on the pitot based in 223 cities in the country.
About Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA):
Union Minister– Hardeep Singh Puri (Constituency – Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State (MoS)– Kaushal Kishore (Constituency – Mohanlalganj, Uttar Pradesh)