Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar for the year 2016 has been awarded to Satyabrata Rout. Satyabrata Rout has been given this award for developing a unique method of teaching and practising direction and design, which has been achieved through a long and continuous work experience with eminent theatre practitioners and scholars.
Accomplishments of Satyabrata Rout:
- Stayabrata Rout is a professor from the Department of Theatre Arts, S N School of Arts and Communication. He is a noted theatre director and scenographer.
- He is one of the pioneers of visual theatre in India, and has authored ‘Scenography: An Indian Perspective’.
- Besides directing a number of plays and participating in national and international theatre festivals, he has conducted numerous theatre workshops across the globe.
- He received Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Award in 2013 for his play ‘Matte Ekalavya’ (translation – Ekalavya Once Again)
- In 2015, he received ‘Best Manuscript Award’ by Sahitya Kala Parishad, Delhi for his play ‘Tumhara Vincent’ (translation – Yours Vincent)
- Rout has authored two books ‘On the Crossroad of Theatre’ (book related to Theatre) and Animal Farm (Odia adaptation of George Orwells political novel).
Besides, Satyabrata Rout, Odissi guru Ratikant Mohapatra and Pala singer Laxmidhar Rout have also been selected for the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar.
About Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar:
Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar is an award given by the Sangeet Natak Akademi.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi is a national level academy for performing arts set up by the Government of India. Headquarters of Sangeet Natak Akademi is located in New Delhi.
- This award was instituted in the year 1952.
- It is the highest Indian recognition given to practicing artists.
- The award consist 50000 cash prize, a citation, a shawl and a brass plaque.