Sania Mirza becomes first Indian female tennis player ranked World No.1 in Women’s Doubles. She partnered with Martina-Hingis, from Switzerland. They beat Casey from Australia and Darija Jurak from Croatia in straight-sets, 6-0 and 6-4. The final lasted for just 57-minutes.
With this win Sania scored 470 points, making her tally to 7965 and surpassing Italy’s Sara Errani (7640) and Roberta Vinci (7640) to the number one rank in the ranking table. The WTA Family Circle Cup tournament was held at Charleston, U.S.A.
About Sea-Pines tournament
The tournament was started in the year 1973.
- This is the longest tournament-event, sponsored by a single company, the family-Cup –Magazine.
- Many great tennis-stars like Billy-Jean-King, Chris-Evert, Navratilova and others made big names in professional circuits, after getting “breaks” in this tournament.
About Sania-Mirza-Hingis partnership
- The partnership started on March 2nd at this tournament. Sania ended her doubles-partnership with Hseigh and decided to pair-up with Hingis for the WTA-Tournaments.
- With this win, Sania has gone past two players from Italy Sara-Errani & Roberta-Vinci. She has 7965 points, compared to the Italian Duo, who have 7640-points in the ranking-table.
- The previous Indian-pair to rank number-1 in doubles were Mahesh-Bhupati and Leander-Paes in the late 1990s.
- Sania is also the first female-Indian player to win Grand-slam tournaments.
- Martina-Hingis ended her retirement from professional Tennis since 2013 to partner with Sania-Mirza in the prestigious tournament.