Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack 2022 , a cricket reference book published in the United Kingdom. It is 159th edition of the most famous sports book in the world and published every year since 1864.
- India captain Rohit Sharma and Indian pacer Jasprit Bumrah along with New Zealand batter Devon Conway, England pacer Ollie Robinson and South African (Proteas) women star Dane van Niekerk have been named as the five players in Wisden’s ‘Cricketers of the Year’ in the 2022 edition of the Almanack.
- Besides, Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Rizwan has earned the title of leading T20 cricketer in the world.
Wisden’s ‘Cricketers of the Year’:
- The Five Cricketers of the Year represent a tradition that dates back in Wisden to 1889, making this the oldest individual award in cricket.
- It is an honour which can be won just once in a player’s career, and is determined chiefly by the impact on the English home season.
Performance For The 2022 Wisden’s ‘Cricketers of the Year’:
- Bumrah starred for India in their visit to England in summer of 2021.
- Making India’s historic win at Lord’s.
- He also produced a match-winning spell at The Oval Cricket stadium and his magnificent spell of 3-33 in the Final at Lord’s Cricket stadium.
- Also he took an overall of 18 wickets in 4 test matches.
- Rohit Sharma was at the heart of his side’s 2-1 lead over England, and played starring roles with the bat at Lord’s, where he scored 83 runs in treacherous conditions.
- At The Oval, his 127 runs helped India.
- He scored an overall of 368 runs in the series.
iii. Devon Conway
- New Zealand’s opener Devon Conway, scored 200 on debut at Lord’s helped New Zealand to win England by 1-0 series win.
iv.Dane van Niekerk
- South Africa allrounder Dane van Niekerk, captained Oval Invincibles to victory in the inaugural Women’s Hundred series, in which she “changed the face of women’s cricket in England”.
- England’s Cricketer of the Year is Ollie Robinson, for his impressive seam bowling, who took 28 wickets at 19.60 economy in his maiden home season.
- Pakistan’s Mohammad Rizwan is named as the Leading Twenty20 Cricketer in the World, for his world-record 2,036 runs in all 20-over matches, at an average of 56.
Leading Cricketer In The world:
i.England’s Joe Root has been named as Leading cricketer in the world for his exceptional 2021-2022 season.
- He was inducted for his historic 12 months batting career, in which he scored 1,708 Test runs in a calendar year, the third most in history following Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan) in 2006 and Viv Richards (West Indies) in 1976.
- South Africa’s Lizelle Lee is named as the Leading Woman Cricketer in the World, after scoring more runs in 11 ODIs (632runs) at a higher average (90) than any other player.
Recently Related News:
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the 2021 edition of ICC awards where India’s Smriti Mandhana (25) won Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year. Pakistan’s wicketkeeper Mohammad Rizwan (29) named ICC Men’s T20I (Twenty 20 International) Cricketer of the Year 2021. while England’s Tammy Beaumont (30) named the ICC Women’s T20I Cricketer of the Year. She finished the year as the third-highest run-getter in women’s T20Is.
About Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack:
Founder John Wisden
Founded – 1864
Named as – “Bible of cricket”